Pension rebates

You may be eligible to save on your water bill

Eligible pensioners in Greater Sydney are entitled to a discount on their water bill's fixed service charges. If the property you live in belongs to you and you receive a pension from Services Australia or the Department of Veterans' Affairs, apply now. We'll make sure you start saving. Complete the online form or call us on 13 20 92 8am–5:30pm Monday to Friday (except public holidays).

Before you complete the form, please check your bill
If you see the words 'Pensioner concession' under Other charges and credits, you already receive the pension rebate.

What you need to qualify

1. You must have an eligible card or pension

We offer rebates to customers with a Pensioner Concession Card issued by Services Australia or the Department of Veterans' Affairs, or a Veteran Gold Card embossed with one of these:

  • war widow or widower
  • Extreme Disablement Adjustment (EDA)
  • Totally and Permanently Incapacitated (TPI)
  • Temporarily Totally Incapacitated (TTI).

We also offer rebates to veterans receiving a Disability Compensation Payment at the TTI rate or Intermediate rate. You'll need to provide documentation if you receive this payment and don't have a Veteran Gold Card.

You won't qualify if you have a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card, Health Care Card, Veteran White Card or Veteran Orange Card.

2. You must own the property you live in

Your name should be on the property's title deed. If the name on the card doesn't match the name on the property's title deed, you may need to provide documentation to confirm eligibility.

Your property can be:

  • single dwelling
  • dual occupancy (2 houses on one block, or house with granny flat)
  • strata or company title unit
  • unit with a life-term lease in retirement village.

If more than one pensioner owns the property and also lives there, you'll need to complete separate application forms.

Not a homeowner?
You may also be eligible if you're the homeowner's spouse, a life tenant or the beneficiary of a will, or you occupy the property through a company trust or have a family arrangement with the owner.

How much you can save

We apply the rebate to the fixed service charges on each bill. Typical service charges for a house with water, wastewater and stormwater total $195.46 per quarter. The maximum rebate for these properties would be $162.61 per quarter. 

Service Maximum rebate

Water service

100% of the quarterly service charge to a maximum of $17.83

Wastewater (sewerage) service

86% of the quarterly service charge 

Stormwater (if applicable)

50% of the quarterly service charge 

Total rebates vary

Pension rebates are calculated based on ownership and occupancy of the premises. 

  • You'll receive 100% of the rebate if you own your home with a spouse, even if they're not a pensioner.
  • You'll receive a smaller rebate if you own your home with other people who aren't pensioners.
  • You'll receive a smaller rebate if you own your home with other people who are pensioners but who don't live with you.

Other rebates and savings

If you qualify for a pension rebate, you're entitled to a WaterFix® Residential first callout fee of just $11 (currently $33 for other customers).

All customers may also be eligible for a rebate if we interrupt or limit services to your property. Find out more from Our contract with you or by calling us on 13 20 92 8am–5:30pm Monday to Friday (except public holidays).

Service NSW makes it easy to access NSW Government Cost of Living rebates and savings, including the Family Energy Rebate, NSW Gas Rebate and Active Kids vouchers. Get started.