Building & renovating

When you're building or renovating, you may need information and/or approvals from us.

Key steps

Your building or excavation can affect our systems if it's over or near our pipes. You'll need to:

  • buy relevant diagrams to help you plan your work
  • consult with your builder to ensure our pipes and structures aren't damaged during construction
  • submit your plans to us so we can check their impact. You can do this at Sydney Water Tap in™
  • contact your local council to find out if your building or excavation needs development consent. If it does, we must approve your building plans before you start work.

If you're developing or subdividing your land, you may need to apply for the proposed development. This application is called a Section 73 Compliance Certificate.

We must approve your plans before you start any building or excavation work. You can do this at Sydney Water Tap in™.

We can approve most plans right away. If your building or excavation works are over or close to our pipes or structures, we'll refer you to a Water Servicing Coordinator. The coordinator will ensure your plans meet our guidelines.

Our Technical guidelines - Building over and adjacent to pipe assets will help you plan and understand our requirements.

Contact Dial Before You Dig before you start work to make sure you don't damage any pipes.

When you're ready to connect to our services, we'll install a meter for you.

You don't need to disconnect from our services if you're renovating or extending your home.
It's a good time to fit water efficient taps and showers when you're renovating. Modern taps and showerheads use a lot less water and aren't more expensive to buy or install.

You may also have to install other water saving fittings to comply with BASIX.
A new house under construction

Have you had your building plans checked?