Connections & disconnections

If you own or manage a business, find out how to connect and disconnect. 

Inside large shopping centre

Business customers must apply to connect to new water and wastewater services.


If you need a new connection for new developments at your business, you must first:

  • get us to check your building plans
  • apply for our Section 73 Compliance Certificate if we need it for your development type.

A connection gives you access to our pipes so you can use our services.

When you've submitted your building plans to us and applied for our Section 73 Compliance Certificate, you can apply to connect or disconnect at Sydney Water Tap in™. This includes:

  • water connections for fire services
  • wastewater connections to dispose of trade wastewater. 

You need our permission to connect, even if your local council has approved your development.

If you're a property owner, apply for a new connection or disconnection at Sydney Water Tap in™.

You can also engage a plumber, hydraulic consultant or other service provider to make an application on your behalf. These providers are not Sydney Water employees and may charge an additional fee on top of our charges. 

If you'd like to know what we charge for applications, approvals and diagrams, see prices for other services.

Consider engaging a hydraulic consultant
They can help you design water and wastewater services for your business and any tanks, pumps or pre-treatment equipment you need. 

If we approve your connection, we'll give you written permission with conditions of connection. Property owners are responsible for meeting all our conditions, including:

  • complying with backflow requirements
  • getting a water meter installed
  • using the right listed provider to make your connection.

If your connection has ongoing obligations, such as managing trade wastewater, we'll have an additional services agreement with you.  Find out more about agreements.

The property owner is responsible for:

  • the cost of making the connection
  • maintaining your service (all the private pipes on the property from the point where they connect to our service).
Read more about the plumbing process for connections and disconnections.

Do you know what types of connections are available?

A non-residential customer using our water service for irrigation.

Find out about the different applications and our application requirements

Do you have a question about your connection?

A Sydney Water business customer with a large water connection.

Contact us for help. Email us at