General plumbing information

To ensure that all plumbing work complies with the Plumbing Code of Australia, only licensed plumbers can do plumbing and drainage work. 

NSW Fair Trading regulates on-site plumbing and drainage work and licensed plumbers in NSW. Visit them for more information about:

  • plumbing and drainage inspections
  • notices of work (NOW)
  • certificates of compliance (CoC)
  • sewerage service diagrams (SSD)
  • audit inspection fees
  • plumbing and drainage regulations.

Safety when working with wastewater

If you're a plumber and concerned about working in and around wastewater (sewage), read our Chemwatch Safety Data Sheet (PDF, 513KB). This explains what substances can be found in wastewater and how to minimise the risks.

You must apply to connect if you:

  • need a new water or wastewater connection
  • want to disconnect an existing water or wastewater connection
  • are connecting to a pre-laid water connection
  • want us to fit a water meter on the property
  • plan to install trade waste equipment
  • want to connect a residential house to our stormwater system.

Apply to connect online at Sydney Water Tap in™.

What is NSW Fair Trading responsible for?

NSW Fair Trading is responsible for plumbing inspections. Visit them to:

  • find out what they need to inspect
  • pay for or book an inspection.
NSW Fair Trading doesn't inspect connections to our pipes. 

What is Sydney Water responsible for?

We're responsible for ensuring connections to our pipes meet our standards.

We might inspect the connection if we have specific connection requirements, eg holding tanks, pumps or wastewater treatment equipment. These will be included in our additional services agreement with you.

If we need to do an inspection, we'll organise this after:

  • you apply to connect
  • we've approved your connection.
Workers digging and laying pipes in front of a house

NSW Fair Trading regulates all plumbing and drainage work in NSW.