Land development

We're committed to ensuring new land development areas receive quality water, wastewater and stormwater infrastructure.

We also need to ensure that new buildings don't affect our pipes. We achieve this by working with developers and their providers as part of our Managing new development process.

Developments that need our Section 73 Compliance Certificate are part of that process. Find out how to get a Section 73 Compliance Certificate and Steps for first time developers.

Read our Land development guide to learn more.

What do you need to know about land development?


Before you can get our Section 73 Compliance Certificate, you may have to pay:

  • developer charges
  • to construct new pipes. You generally pay for the full cost, but sometimes we'll pay.
The decision on who pays is based on our Funding infrastructure to service growth policy. If we pay for any of these works, you must follow our procurement guidelines. 

Talk to your Water Servicing Coordinator to find out more.

You may have to pay for these other costs during the land development process, including:

  • checking building plans
  • connecting to our pipes, eg water main drilling costs
  • assessing water mains for fire fighting capabilities
  • discharging trade waste
  • inspecting plumbing and drainage.

See Prices for other services to find out more.

You'll also have to pay your providers for their services.

Developer charges

Currently, the only developer charges you have to pay are for recycled water. These are explained in the Development Servicing Plan - Rouse Hill Recycled Water System and Development Servicing Plan - Hoxton Park Recycled Water System.

The Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal (IPART) sets the way recycled water developer charges are calculated. It includes a CPI adjustment on 1 July each year. You must pay the charge that applies when you pay.

Charges for a development can amount to thousands of dollars, depending on the size and location of the project.

We'll tell you about these charges in the Notice of Requirements letter you get from your Water Servicing Coordinator.

Read the relevant policies to see our position on the requirements we make during the land development process.

Look under 'Plumbing, building & developing' on our Policies page.

Read our Changes to our policy fact sheet to see how we've changed our Funding infrastructure to service growth policy and simplified our funding process.

We're constantly looking at ways to improve our Managing new developments process

Changes to our funding process

To make our funding process simpler for you, we've changed our Funding infrastructure to service growth policy.

To find out more, read our Changes to our policy fact sheet.

New guidelines for sewers in basements

To improve how you and your providers plan, design and construct sewers in basements, we've produced a Reticulation sewers in basements technical guideline.

This will help:

  • avoid surcharge incidents that disrupt our wastewater service to you
  • avoid surcharge incidents that damage your property
  • improve the operation and maintenance of our wastewater system.

Changes to disinfection for new water mains

Since February 2015, we've been using ozone treatment to disinfect most water mains. Trial results have shown that ozone is a better disinfection agent than chlorination. It also allows for faster, same day connection of new mains.

To find out more, read our Changes to disinfection for new water mains fact sheet.

You must not move, remove or replace any Sydney Water pipes without our approval.

You need to engage a Water Servicing Coordinator to lodge an approval application. The application must include a design of the proposed works and any temporary pipework.

We'll review the design and tell you what you need to get our approval. This might include lodging a construction bond.

You must not start work until you have our approval. Read our Asset adjustment and protection manual to learn more.

Did you know that you can follow the progress of your developer application?

Find out about your  Developer application progress.