Applications & approvals

When do you need our approval?

You may need to make an application or get an approval if you:

  • are connecting to our pipes
  • are building or extending a house
  • want to move or remove our pipes.

We can give simple approvals right away, but we may need:

  • a more detailed assessment
  • to refer your application to someone else.

If you'd like to know more about the services we provide, see prices for other services.

What do you need to know?

When do you apply? Why do you apply? How do you apply?

If you're developing, subdividing or adding an extra dwelling on a property.

We need to ensure:

  • there are water and wastewater pipes to connect to
  • the pipes are the right size for the development.

Apply for a Section 73 Certificate at any water servicing coordinator or through Sydney Water Developer Direct™.

When you need to know the pressure in our water main.

You may need this information to help you design or certify one of the water connections for the building on the property.

Apply for a Statement of available pressure and flow at Sydney Water Tap in™.

If we don't have any pipes for you to connect to.

We need to work out if our systems can be extended to provide a point of connection for your property.

Apply to extend our water or wastewater system by calling us on 13 20 92

When you want to change the level of your land and know this will impact the height of one of our wastewater structures.

We need to ensure:

  • we can access the wastewater structure to maintain our pipes
  • our structure doesn't cause any safety issues.

Apply to raise or lower our manhole at Sydney Water Tap in™.

When you want to change the level of your land and one of our valves is in the way.

We need to ensure we can adjust the valves on our pipes to suit your needs.

Apply for a Watermain Fitting Adjustment at Sydney Water Tap in™.


When do you need approval? Why do you need approval? Where can you get approval?
If you're excavating, demolishing or building on a property. We need to ensure:
  • your proposed excavation, demolition or building works won't damage our pipes
  • we can still get to our pipes if we need to repair them.

Apply for a Building plan approval at Sydney Water Tap in™.

If you're building close to or over our pipes, we'll refer you to a water servicing coordinator for detailed assessment.

You also need to apply for a Section 73 Certificate through a water servicing coordinator if you're building:
  • an additional dwelling on a property
  • a development, eg townhouses, villas, or commercial or industrial buildings.

When you want to connect to, or disconnect from, our pipes.

We need to ensure the connection meets our requirements when you connect your property to our pipes.

Apply to connect at Sydney Water Tap in™.

Most simple connections are approved right away, but if you have a non-standard or large connection, we'll ask you to provide more information and apply for approval.

If we approve your connection, we'll send an approval letter or additional services agreement to you and the property owner.

If you want to move or remove our pipes.

We need to ensure there are no problems moving or removing the pipes as they may need to provide services to other customers.

Apply for an Asset adjustment approval through a water servicing coordinator. The coordinator will advise you about the process and submit an application to us.

If you've been offered to buy part of a public road.

We need to check if:
  • there are any pipes on the land
  • any works are required to protect the pipes and maintain our access to them.

Request approval for a road closure through any water servicing coordinator.

Men looking at design plans

You may need a hydraulic consultant to help you design your connection.