Deceased estates

It’s hard enough when you lose a loved one. We try to make it easier for you to organise the deceased person’s affairs by providing options on how you can contact us.

You can choose to:
Whichever way you choose to contact us, we’ll get back to you within 10 days to work with you to determine how you’d like us to manage the deceased person’s account. 

We can only share Sydney Water account information with the estate executor, administrator, or the next-of-kin, so please have your supporting documents available. 

If you choose to contact us online, you'll need to provide some information to help us manage the account until probate.

You'll need to provide:

  • your contact details
  • the name of the deceased and your relationship to them 
  • the property (or properties) concerned
  • a copy of the Death Certificate and/or an extract of the will showing the executor details. 

Alternatively, you can notify us through the Australian Death Notification Service.

We’ll email you within 10 days to gather any specific property details and determine how we can help you.

To make it as easy as we can for you, we’ve partnered with the Australian Death Notification Service to simplify the process of notifying multiple organisations when someone has died. 

By using this service, you’ll be able to select the organisations you’d like notified. These organisations will then contact you directly.

The service is not available if the Death Certificate was issued outside of Australia. 

If you use this service, we’ll contact you by email within 10 days of receiving the information from the ADNS. This will include a form to gather specific property details. 

We’ll continue to send bills and other communications to the mailing address on record for the property until after probate, unless you tell us otherwise. 

The name on the account is linked to the property title deed. NSW Land and Registry Services will automatically update our records to reflect any changes.

Direct Debit

If the account is set up for Direct Debit and the bank account is frozen, you’ll need to cancel the Direct Debit arrangement.

Please call the Direct Debit team on 8849 4949, weekdays from 8.30 am to 4 pm.

Help with the bill

If you’re living in the property and need help with the bill, please call us on 13 20 92 and we’ll work together to find a solution. 

We’ll write to your solicitor to confirm how the estate is progressing and when the probate application will go through the NSW Supreme Court. 

We can place a hold on any debt recovery action for up to 12 months while the estate is going through probate.

When there’s no Will

Where there’s no Will, the NSW Supreme court will need to issue ‘Letters of administration’ before the estate can be settled. We recommend consulting a solicitor as this can be a complex process.

Pension rebates 

If you’re the sole beneficiary of the Will and a pensioner, you may qualify you for a pension rebate. Email us and we’ll send you an application form. 

We're here to help

If you have any other questions, please email us or call us on 13 20 92.

We're available 8.30 am to 5.30 pm, Monday to Friday.

Older lady looking at a tablet with another lady looking on

Contact us to discuss how you'd like to manage the account.