Buying, selling & moving

What happens to your account when you move?

Unlike energy providers, your Sydney Water account is linked to your property address.
When you buy, sell or move to a new property, you'll have a new account number linked to your new property address. You don't need to set up a new account with us.

We update property ownership details based on information from Land and Property Information. It can take six to eight weeks from settlement for the ownership information to update. This means you'll sometimes receive an overdue notice as your first bill.

If you have any concerns about the charges on your new bill, contact your conveyancer or call us on 13 20 92.

We bill the property owner/owners directly, even if the property is rented out.

Tips when you're buying, selling or moving

You don't need to set up a new account with us. We'll get your details from Land and Property Information when you buy a property.  

As a part of the sale, your conveyancer adjusts for water use at the property. It's based on the daily average for the property between our last meter reading and your settlement date. This is usually then deducted from the purchase price listed in your settlement papers.

The water usage charge will be listed on the next bill we send to you when we next read your meter. As the new owner, this charge is now your responsibility.

Always ask your conveyancer if there are any special conditions you need to know about. This may help you decide if you want to buy a property.

Questions to ask your conveyancer

Is all the plumbing work in the house shown on the sewerage diagram?

If not, this may mean the plumbing work wasn't inspected and doesn't comply with the plumbing codes. Check with NSW Fair Trading if you're concerned about this.

Does the property share its water and wastewater connection with other properties?

If you share a connection with another property, you're equally responsible for maintaining the pipes. This can often cause problems.

The sewerage service diagram will show shared wastewater connections.

If your property doesn't have its own water meter, you may be sharing a water connection. Shared connections are common in older areas of Sydney such as Surry Hills, Redfern and Chippendale.

Is the point of connection to the wastewater system in the property, the roadway or another property?

If your point of connection is not in the property, it could be more expensive to fix any problems.

If your point of connection is in another property, your pipes should be covered by an easement. Ask your conveyancer to check the terms of any easements. The easement documents indicate what rights you have to enter other properties to fix your pipes.

Are there any private pipes from another property on your property?

If there are pipes from other properties on your land, there should be an easement over the pipes to give the owner rights to enter your property to fix them. The easement documents will tell you what rights each person has. If there's no easement over the pipes, they're considered to be encroaching on your land.

You don't need to disconnect services when you sell your property.

Your selling agent or conveyancer will generally buy a conveyancing certificate from us to identify any outstanding property charges. This helps ensure all parties pay the correct amount. You can buy them from a Property Link broker.

There is no final account to pay. If you receive a bill after your property has settled, please return it to us advising that you've sold the property.

Always let buyers know if your property has any connection conditions that may affect them. For example, you may need to tell a buyer if there's a non-standard water service (rural area) or if there's a pump that needs to be maintained.

Property owners

If you're a property owner, you can change your mailing address online when you move or change address.

We'll send your bill to your new address. While you own the property, you're responsible for the account and for paying the bills.


If you're a tenant, you don't need to get the water meter read before moving into or out of leased premises.

You don't need to apply to connect to our services when you buy or move to a new property. We don't stop the water supply when people move into or out of a property.

We'll transfer the property account into the new owner's name when we receive the details from the Land and Property Information office.

When you buy a property, ask the seller's agent or your conveyancer if there are any connection conditions you should be aware of. This could include a pump you need to maintain or a non-standard water service in a rural area.

Houses in a new residential estate.

Our services are already connected to your home and ready to use if you buy an existing property.