You need to know about our services if you're:
- starting a business
- moving to new premises
- developing your site.
What do new business owners need to know?
You need our written permission before you discharge trade wastewater into our systems. This applies to most businesses, including:
- motor mechanics
- car washes
- dry cleaners.
Our requirements are different for commercial trade wastewater and industrial trade wastewater customers.
If you're discharging trade wastewater without our approval, we may disconnect the trade waste service. We may also disconnect or restrict your water service.
You can apply to discharge trade wastewater online at Sydney Water Tap in™.
Make sure you understand our requirements before you build or refit commercial premises. Your building or renovation plans must include enough space to install the right grease traps and treatment equipment and wastewater plumbing.
You must apply at Sydney Water Tap in™ if you:
- need a new water, recycled water or wastewater connection
- want to change the size or location of your meterwant to put a pump onto an existing connection
- want to change the amount or quality of wastewater you discharge
- want to change the location of your water or wastewater connection.
If you use our water supply during construction and redevelopment, you must have an approved connection with a meter and backflow protection.
A hydraulic consultant or plumber can help you design your water and wastewater services and apply on your behalf.
You need a water meter for all connections to our water system.
We provide free meters for all properties. We'll also install meters up to 50 mm light duty for free. You must engage a plumber to install larger meters.
You can apply for a meter at Sydney Water Tap in™.
If you ask us to install the meter for you, we'll install it free of charge within ten business days.
If you'd like your plumber to install the meter, you'll get a letter authorising your plumber to collect one. You'll have to pay for the plumbing costs.
All 20 and 25 mm meters have a backflow prevention device in them. This is suitable for properties that have a low backflow hazard.
If you have a development site, you can protect your meter with a cage that still lets us read the meter.
This device reduces the hazard your business may pose to our water supplies.
You must engage an accredited backflow plumber to assess your site and install the right kind of backflow device.
We'll charge you if you discharge more than 0.685 kL of wastewater a day.
Tell us if your business processes change, because it might affect your wastewater charges.
Make sure you understand your agreement. If you need help understanding it, call:
- the person listed in the agreement
- your business customer representative
- our contact centre on 13 20 92.
If you sell your property, you must tell potential buyers about any agreements that apply.
We charge you to cover the cost of providing our services and maintaining our assets.
We'll charge you fees:
- for being connected to our water and wastewater systems. This is a service charge
- for the amount of water you use. This is a usage charge
- for the amount of wastewater you discharge
- for discharging trade wastewater
- if you're property is in one of our stormwater catchment areas.