Water efficiency tips
Managing your water use efficiently will:
- save you money. The less water you use, the less you'll pay for water, wastewater, trade wastewater, chemicals and energy
- reduce your carbon footprint by reducing energy for heating and pumping water
- contribute to a sustainable environment by reducing demand from dams and rivers. You'll also discharge less wastewater into rivers and oceans
- improve your public image in and around the community.
It makes good business sense to manage your water use efficiently.
Tips to manage your water use
Make sure you understand:
- the services you're connected to
- how much water you use
- where you use water in your business
- your business's benchmark for water use.
Avoid using water if there are other options. For example, sweep instead of washing down hard surfaces and avoid leaks by:
- regularly checking water using equipment and fixtures
- replacing washers and seals yearly.
Visit the Water Efficiency Labelling and Standards (WELS) scheme website for details.
Where possible, re-use your water for:
- dust suppression
- toilet flushing.
Reuse water must be fit for purpose. Before you consider reuse, get professional advice and refer to the Australian Guidelines for Water Recycling.
Recycled water is not for drinking, but you can use it:
- to irrigate ovals and golf courses
- for dust control
- in industry
- in cooling towers, but only where a high level of treatment has been applied to reduce dissolved salts.
Before you consider recycled water, get professional advice and refer to the Australian Guidelines for Water Recycling.
Aways consider alternative water sources as the last option. Alternative water sources include:
- bore water
- treated wastewater
If you're considering rainwater, use our rainwater tank calculator to help you choose the best tank for your needs.
We offer total water solutions to business customers that have an additional services agreement.
One of the services we offer is a water management meeting.
If you have an additional services agreement, you can arrange a meeting by: