Water Wise Rules are simple, common sense actions about the way we use water outside.
They've replaced water restrictions and apply to everyone in Sydney, the Blue Mountains and the Illawarra. This includes both residents and businesses.
Trigger nozzles stop water waste as you move between plants.
Water Wise Rules
The same rules apply to everyone - individuals and businesses.
Watering your garden
- water with hoses fitted with a trigger nozzle, sprinklers and irrigation systems any day before 10 am and after 4 pm
- use a bucket or watering can to water lawns and gardens at any time
- establish new lawn using your sprinkler or watering system at any time of day for 14 days after you’ve laid the turf
- use water from your rainwater tank, as long as it’s not connected to, or topped up with, drinking water.
Looking after your pool and keeping cool
- fill or top up your swimming pool
- use water to cool people or animals.
- use a bucket, watering can or a hose fitted with a trigger nozzle to wash vehicles
- clean your bin using a hose fitted with a trigger nozzle. Where possible, wash your bin in an official bin wash area or on grass
- hose paths, driveways, concrete or other paved surfaces for health, safety, emergency, construction or surface discoloration reasons. If you're asked, you must be able to give a legitimate reason to one of our authorised staff members
- use a hose to flush your boat engine
- use a hose with a trigger nozzle or high pressure cleaning device to clean your boat bilges, boat trailer brakes and wheels.
- use a fire hose for fire fighting activities.
The following types of water are exempt from Water Wise Rules:
- Recycled water
- Bore water
- Water used to test fire systems
- Water used for fire fighting.
Water from rainwater tanks is also exempt if it's not topped up from our water supply.
Some government restrictions apply to bore water and water extracted from rivers, so always check with your local council or the NSW Office of Water.
Fines for water theft are $2,200.
Our authorised staff do random checks to ensure the rules are being followed.