North West Growth Centre - Package 2 and 3A

This project is in the north-west suburbs of Riverstone, Schofields, North Kellyville, Vineyard and Box Hill.

The project began in early 2013 and was completed in mid 2015.

Work crew laying pipes with machinery

We started building this package of work in Sydney's north-west in mid 2013.

About the project

Illustrated map of North West Growth Centre Package 2 & 3A

Select the map image to see a larger version

We've completed construction for Packages 2 and 3A in the North West Growth Centre.This includes providing water and wastewater services to parts of Box Hill, Schofields, Alex Avenue, North Kellyville and Riverstone precincts.

Work in Box Hill, Riverstone and Vineyard precincts includes building:

  • trunk wastewater pipelines (Box Hill carrier and First Ponds Creek carrier)
  • trunk drinking water pipelines
  • a new wastewater pumping station on Chapman Road in Vineyard.

Work in North Kellyville and Schofields precincts includes building trunk wastewater pipelines (the Cattai Creek carrier and Schofields carrier).

Work in the Alex Avenue and Schofields precincts includes building trunk drinking water pipelines.
In December 2012, we engaged Australian Water Holdings Pty Ltd to project manage the design, build and commissioning of water related infrastructure for Package 2 and Package 3A. We engaged Lend Lease (formerly Abigroup) to do the work.

Survey work started in early 2013 and major construction started in mid 2013. All work was completed in mid 2015.
We prepared an Environmental Assessment (EA) to investigate the impacts of constructing and operating water and wastewater services for the North West Growth Centre second release precincts. This assessment was prepared under Part 3A of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act.

The Minister for Planning approved the EA on 6 August 2012.  The Second Release Precincts EA, the Conditions of Approval, and three modifications have been submitted to the NSW Department of Planning and Infrastructure.

As required in the Conditions of Approval for Package 2 and 3A, we've prepared a number of specific reports.

If you'd like to view any of the reports listed below, please contact us.

Report Condition of Approval
Staging Report B8
Consistency Assessments B6
Biodiversity Offset Strategy C1 & C2.8
Community Communications Strategy D1
Compliance Tracking Program
  • Pre-construction Compliance Report
  • Quarterly Compliance Report
  • Annual Independent Environmental Audit (not yet undertaken)
  • Pre-Operation Compliance Report (not yet prepared)
Construction Environmental Management Plan E25
Ancillary Facilities Management Plan E26
Heritage Management Plan E26 (b)
Flora and Fauna Management Plan E26 (c)
Soil and Water Quality Management Plan E26 (d)
Noise and Vibration Management Plan E26 (e)
Traffic and Access Management Plan E26 (f)
Archaeological Assessment and Options Report for the A7 Complex 2.9
Landscape Plan SPS1154 2.15

Do you have to connect to our water and wastewater system?

You don't have to connect to our system if you continue living in your current home.

If you wish to build a new home, sub-divide or redevelop your land, you need to speak to your local council about any conditions imposed on local developments.

Can you connect directly into the pipelines we build in your area?

We build the major trunk pipelines. Customers can't connect directly into a trunk pipeline.

Once the trunk pipelines have been built, developers build the next stage of pipelines needed to service individual properties.

Learn more about applications and approvals.

Why don't we build all the trunk infrastructure and smaller pipelines in the area?

A lot of infrastructure is required to service the entire North West Growth Centre. There is uncertainty about where and when other infrastructure such as roads, gas, phone and power will be located until a precinct is rezoned and precinct plans have been developed.

Smaller pipelines in these new release areas are usually laid in road reserves. It's often more efficient and effective to have developers lay the infrastructure as they are building the roads for a new housing development.

How can you connect into the water and wastewater service?

If water and wastewater services are available in your area and you'd like to sub-divide and develop your land, you need to get a Section 73 certificate. Your application for a Section 73 certificate needs to be lodged by a Water Servicing Coordinator through the e-developer process.

Learn more about applications and approvals.

What are Water Servicing Coordinators? 

Water Servicing Coordinators can help you with your application to adjust, extend or connect into our pipes. Coordinators can answer questions about your application on our behalf and can also facilitate the project management, design and construction of any required work. They're not employed by Sydney Water.

View a list of Water Servicing Coordinators.

How much will it cost to connect to our water and wastewater network? 

There is no set fee for connecting to our drinking water and wastewater network.

When we receive a Section 73 application, we issue a Notice of Requirements detailing what needs to be built to service the new development. The requirements are influenced by the size and nature of the development and where it is in relation to our trunk pipeline network. Meeting these requirements is a large part of the cost required to connect to our network.

Charges may include:

  • contract administration fees
  • fees for checking building plans (there may be requirements for building over or adjacent to the wastewater pipes)
  • plumbing and drainage inspection and connection fees. For example, water main Help Description drilling costs
  • trade waste charges
  • fees for approving large drinking water connections.  
To learn more, contact our Community Relations Team by:

Sydney Water, Community Relations - Growth                                                 
PO Box 399, Parramatta NSW 2124