Liverpool City Centre and Georges River industrial area

We're planning new water and wastewater infrastructure to service growth in the Liverpool City Centre and Georges River industrial area.

Work will be completed in stages between 2017 and 2020.

Macquarie Street, Liverpool

We're planning to meet the needs of a developing Liverpool City Centre.

About the project

We're developing plans for new water and wastewater services to cater for growth and development in parts of the Liverpool City Centre and Georges River industrial area.

By 2024, we expect there will be about 23,000 new homes in these areas.

In anticipation of development in these areas, we're planning to expand and build new drinking water and wastewater infrastructure. Timing of the project will be staged to meet specific development timeframes. Services for parts of Liverpool City Centre have been fast-tracked in line with development priorities and are expected to be available by September 2018.

New services for the remaining parts of Liverpool City Centre and the Georges River industrial area are expected to be available by 2020.
  • June to November 2017 - New water and wastewater service options assessed.
  • November 2017 to mid-2018 - Detailed planning, including concept design specifications requirements and environment assessment
  • Mid-2018 to 2020 - Construction and commission of the new infrastructure.

We'll keep property owners, stakeholders and the community updated as the project progresses.

When will your property be serviced by water and wastewater?

We have a Growth Servicing Plan that outlines the planning and delivery timetable for water and wastewater infrastructure to service urban growth over five years.

We deliver infrastructure in stages to meet development timeframes and work closely with other agencies, including councils and the Department of Planning and Environment. This ensures we're servicing the right areas at the right times. 

Why don't we build all the trunk infrastructure and smaller pipelines in the area?

A lot of infrastructure is required to service the growth and release areas. There is uncertainty about where and when other infrastructure such as roads, gas, phone and power will be located until a precinct is rezoned and precinct plans have been developed.

Smaller water pipelines in these new release areas are usually laid in road reserves. It's often more efficient and effective to have developers lay the infrastructure as they're building the roads for a new housing development.

Find out more about plumbing, building and developing.

Why can't you connect directly into the pipelines we build in your area?

We build the major trunk pipelines. These are large water and wastewater pipelines that don't connect directly into properties.

Once the trunk mains have been built, developers or Sydney Water will then build the next stage of pipelines, called reticulation or lead-in pipelines. 

These smaller pipes are needed to service individual properties. 

How can you connect into the water and wastewater service?

If water and wastewater services are available in your area, and you'd like to sub-divide and develop your land, you need to get a Section 73 Compliance Certificate

You'll need to engage a Water Servicing Coordinator (WSC) to help you manage the water and wastewater aspects of developing your property. The WSC must lodge your application for a certificate through the e-developer process.

Learn more about Section 73 Compliance Certificates.

What are Water Servicing Coordinators?

Water Servicing Coordinators are not Sydney Water staff, but they can:

  • answer questions about your application on our behalf

  • help with the project management, design and construction of any required work

  • lodge a feasibility application with us to confirm:

    • which catchment area the property will drain to
    • potential connection points
    • any infrastructure that needs to be delivered to transfer wastewater to the existing system.

View a list of Water Servicing Coordinators.

What happens if your property is outside the catchment area or you want to develop before we're ready to put the infrastructure in place?

Developers may enter into an agreement to accelerate the servicing of land ahead of our Growth Servicing Plan.

Under this agreement, the developer must construct the trunk infrastructure to our requirements. We may refund the ‘reasonable and efficient’ costs of this infrastructure, in line with the principles set out in our funding principles of developer delivered major infrastructure. 

Find out more in our Growth Servicing Plan.

How much will it cost to connect to our water and wastewater network?

There is no set fee to connect to our drinking water and wastewater network.

When we receive a Section 73 application, we issue a 'Notice of Requirements' detailing what needs to be built to service new developments. The requirements are influenced by the size and nature of the development and where it is in relation to our trunk network. Meeting these requirements is a large part of the cost required to connect to our network.

Charges may include:

  • contract administration fees
  • fees to check building plans (there may be requirements for building over or near to wastewater pipes)
  • plumbing and drainage inspection and connection fees, eg water main drilling costs
  • our trade waste charges
  • fees for approving large drinking water connections.  

When will you be compensated for construction on your land?

You won't be compensated for construction work on your property unless:

  • our work has damaged your property in some way
  • we build a maintenance hole or vent shaft on your property.

Most water pipelines are built in the road or nature strip. Wastewater pipelines are located in low lying areas, often along creek beds, and in land that won't be developed (where possible).

We may also need to acquire private properties or an easement if we need to build parts of the water or wastewater network in privately owned property.

Why can we access your land for surveys and construction? 

The Sydney Water Act 1994 gives us powers of entry onto private property for work related to constructing new infrastructure.

We work with landowners to minimise impacts on their property.

To learn more or provide feedback, contact our Community Relations Team by:
Sydney Water
Community Relations - Growth
PO Box 399