Austral and Leppington precincts

We're working on a number of projects in Austral, Leppington, East Leppington and Leppington North.

The work will be completed in stages by 2022.

Image of flat rural land

We've started construction to provide new services to the Leppington and Austral areas.

About the Austral and Leppington precincts

We're working on a number of projects in Austral, Leppington, East Leppington and Leppington North. 


To service development, we've started building wastewater infrastructure in the following precincts:

  • Austral - we've built the trunk mains and a new pumping station
  • East Leppington (sections of) - completed in 2016
  • Leppington - will be completed in stages by 2018
  • Leppington North (sections of) - trunk infrastructure completed in stages by mid 2016 with lead-ins completed by late 2018.
We've begun an options assessment to look at expanding the catchment in these areas, but this may be 5-10 years away from being constructed.

Drinking water

Water is already available in the Austral and Leppington precincts as the existing infrastructure has enough capacity for the first stage of development.

In anticipation of the second stage of development, we're currently constructing additional water infrastructure.

When will my property be serviced by water and wastewater?

We have a Growth Servicing Plan that outlines the planning and delivery timetable for water and wastewater infrastructure to service urban growth over five years.

We deliver infrastructure in stages to meet development timeframes and work closely with other agencies, including councils and the Department of Planning and Environment. This ensures we're servicing the right areas at the right times. 

Why don't we build all the trunk infrastructure and smaller pipelines in the area?

A lot of infrastructure is required to service the growth and release areas. There is uncertainty about where and when other infrastructure such as roads, gas, phone and power will be located until a precinct is rezoned and precinct plans have been developed.

Smaller water pipelines in these new release areas are usually laid in road reserves. It's often more efficient and effective to have developers lay the infrastructure as they're building the roads for a new housing development.

Find out more about plumbing, building and developing.

Can you connect directly into the pipelines we build in your area?

We build the major trunk pipelines. Trunk pipes are large water and wastewater pipelines that customers can't connect directly into.

Once the trunk mains have been built, developers or Sydney Water will then build the next stage of pipelines, called reticulation or lead-in pipelines, needed to service individual properties. 

How can you connect into the water and wastewater service?

If water and wastewater services are available in your area, and you'd like to sub-divide and develop your land, you need to get a Section 73 certificate

You'll need to engage a Water Servicing Coordinator (WSC) to help you manage the water and wastewater aspects of developing your property. The WSC must lodge your application for a certificate through the e-developer process.

Learn more about Section 73 certificates.

What are Water Servicing Coordinators?

Water Servicing Coordinators are not Sydney Water staff, but they can:

  • answer questions about your application on our behalf

  • help with the project management, design and construction of any required work

  • lodge a feasibility application with us to confirm:

    • which catchment area the property will drain to
    • potential connection points
    • any infrastructure that needs to be delivered to transfer wastewater to the existing system.

View a list of Water Servicing Coordinators.

What if my property is outside the catchment area or I want to develop before Sydney Water is ready to put infrastructure in my area?

Developers may enter into an agreement to accelerate the servicing of land ahead of our Growth Servicing Plan.

Under this agreement, the developer must construct the trunk infrastructure to our requirements. We may refund the ‘reasonable and efficient’ costs of this infrastructure, in line with the principles set out in our funding principles of developer delivered major infrastructure. 

Find out more in our Growth Servicing Plan 2014-19.

How much will it cost to connect to our water and wastewater network?

There is no set fee to connect to our drinking water and wastewater network.

When we receive a Section 73 application, we issue a 'Notice of Requirements' detailing what needs to be built to service new developments. The requirements are influenced by the size and nature of the development and where it is in relation to our trunk network. Meeting these requirements is a large part of the cost required to connect to our network.

Charges may include:

  • contract administration fees
  • fees to check building plans (there may be requirements for building over or near to wastewater pipes)
  • plumbing and drainage inspection and connection fees, eg water main drilling costs
  • our trade waste charges
  • fees for approving large drinking water connections.  

When will you be compensated for construction on your land?

You won't be compensated for construction work on your property unless:

  • our work has damaged your property in some way
  • we build a maintenance hole or vent shaft on your property.

Most water pipelines are built in the road or nature strip. Wastewater pipelines are located in low lying areas, often along creek beds, and in land that won't be developed (where possible).

We may also need to acquire private properties or an easement if we need to build parts of the water or wastewater network in privately owned property.

Why can we access your land for surveys and construction? 

The Sydney Water Act 1994 gives us powers of entry onto private property for work related to constructing new infrastructure.

We work with landowners to minimise impacts on their property.

To learn more, contact our Community Relations Team by:

Sydney Water
Community Relations - Growth                                              
PO Box 399