Kiama Reservoir (WS 0232)

  • Number
    4575706
  • Other name
    (WS 0232)
  • Primary address

    122, Irvine Street Kiama, 2533. NSW
    LGA: Kiama
    LGA region: Illawarra
    DUAP region: Illawarra & Macarthur

  • Alternate Address

    123, at Elouera Place Kiama, 2533. NSW
    LGA: Kiama
    LGA code: KIAM
    LGA region: Illawarra
    DUAP region: Illawarra & Macarthur

  • Owner
    Sydney Water
  • Current use
    Reservoir.
  • Former use
    Reservoir.
  • Item type
    Built
  • Item group
    Utilities - Water
  • Item category
    Water Supply Reservoir/ Dam
  • Parcels

    Parcel code: LOT
    Lot number: 10
    Section number:
    Plan code: DP
    Plan number: 708076
    Updated: 17 February 2003

  • Curtilage/Boundary
    The curtilage is defined by the boundary of Lot 10 in DP No.708076, as shown on the curtilage plan.
  • AMG easting
    302448745
  • AMG northing
    6161037638
  • Statement of significance
    Reservoir 232 has historical significance at the state level for its construction technique and material, and its operation within the South Coast water supply system after 1961. The reservoir demonstrates the growth of settlement in the Kiama area in the mid 20th century, reflecting the needs of a growing rural centre for an upgrade to the water supply system in southern New South Wales. Reservoir 232 was built in the mid 20th century following acquirement of a second portion of the current site by the Metropolitan Water Supply and Drainage Board in 1954. It is a circular reinforced concrete reservoir with stepped sides, a thickened upper rim, and no visible concrete apron.The depth gauge board is intact on the northern section of the external wall.
  • Endorsed significance
    State
  • Designer
    NSW Department of Public Works ?
  • Circa
    No
  • Physical description
    Kiama Reservoir (WS 232) is located to the north of WS 231 (see separate listing). It is a circular reinforced concrete reservoir, but its sides are stepped or tapered, with a thickened rim or rib. There is no visible concrete apron or foundation, which is a standard feature of most surface reservoirs. Standard features include: handrail in tubular steel, depth gauge board, davit, access ladder, inlet and outlet valve chambers. Full Service Level: 90 m. Capacity: 2.3 ML. A modern welded steel reservoir has been constructed at the northern end of the site. The reservoir was roofed to safeguard the water c. 1975, potentially the same time that the ladders were added (or replaced). This reservoir is located between Reservoir WS0231 (c. 1917) and Reservoir WS0413 (c. 1987).The roof is corrugated metal and the handrail is in tubular steel. The reservoir fabric is concrete with a blue stone aggregate and reinforced metal ribs. The davit for this reservoir has been removed.
  • Modifications made
    The reservoir has been roofed to safeguard water quality (1960s-1970s).
  • History
    The Metropolitan Water Supply & Drainage Board initially used water from the Cordeaux River, the nearest of the Upper Nepean tributaries to supply the South Coast, Wollongong and its suburbs. A series of dams were constructed on the Cordeaux River, the principal dams being completed in 1903, 1915 and 1926 respectively. Because of the height of the ridge (O’Briens Gap) above the coastal area, pressure in the trunk main was too high to be directly connected to reticulation mains. The pressure was broken down by the construction of 5 service reservoirs at the highest points on the coastal plain. The initial supply scheme from the Cordeaux River to Wollongong was constructed by the NSW Department of Public Works in 1902-1903. It was transferred to the MWS&DB in 1903. The second major stage of development occurred in 1909 with extension to Port Kembla and Unanderra. The third stage of expansion was completed in 1915 with water supplied to Figtree, Mount Kembla, Kembla Heights, Mount Keira, Keiraville and towns to the north of Wollongong, namely Balgownie, Corrimal, Bellambi, Russell Vale, Woonoona, Bulli, Thirroul, Austinmer, Coledale, Scarborough and Clifton. The extensions of supply to Dapto in 1920 and to Mount Drummond (now Mangerton), Tarrawanna, Reidtown, Fern Hill and Fairy Meadow, all in 1922, were supplementary to the third stage of expansion. Since that date, expansion has occurred in all of the South Coast water supply, although Kiama, Jamberoo and other southern areas were not connected to the Avon supply until after 1961. In the 1960s, supply was made available from Avon Dam, this dam being originally completed in 1928. Water is now supplied from Avon Dam, via filtration plant, to Mount Keira, Berkeley and Dapto, from whence all other reservoirs receive their supply. This reservoir was not incorporated into the South Coast or Illawarra Region water supply until after 1961. Reservoir 2 (WS0232) was built c. 1955. Both Reservoirs WS0231 and WS0232 were built as circular reinforced on-ground concrete reservoirs. The reservoirs have a different composition. Concrete is made up of an aggregate and a cement paste, and is broadly categorised as fine (commonly sand) and coarse (typically crushed stone or gravel). Reservoir 2 has a blue stone aggregate. They are both reinforced with steel. Around 1965 outlet screens were installed on Reservoirs 1 and 2. Around 1975 repainting of the exterior metalwork was required after roofing. Reservoir 1 (WS0231) was built c. 1917. Reservoir WS0413, a welded steel reservoir, was built at the north-west end of the site c. 1987.
  • National
    Settlement
  • State
    Utilities
  • Local
    Water Supply
  • Local description
    Relates to the planning, development, expansion and provision of water supply.
  • a) Historical
    Reservoir 232 has historical significance at the state level for its construction technique and material, and its operation within the South Coast water supply system after 1961. Reservoir 232 demonstrates the growth of settlement in the Kiama area in the mid 20th century, reflecting the needs of a growing rural centre for an upgrade to the water supply system in southern New South Wales. Reservoir 232 was built in the mid 20th century following acquirement of a second portion of the current site by the Metropolitan Water Supply and Drainage Board in 1954. It is a circular reinforced concrete reservoir with stepped sides, a thickened upper rim, and no visible concrete apron. It forms a group of two concrete reservoirs with Reservoir 231 and along with the modern steel reservoir (413), they service the needs of the local community.
  • c) Aesthetic
    The pump house (WP121 c. 1980s) in the north-west area of the site has aesthetic significance at the state level as it still contains original operating equipment.
  • f) Rarity
    Reservoir 232 was built without a concrete apron, which is a standard feature on above-ground reservoirs. The depth gauge board is intact on the northern section of the external wall, which is rare due to its condition and retention on the reservoir as many have been removed, as has the davit for this Reservoir. The depth gauge board were no longer used to gauge the reservoir capacity from the 1980s when a meter reading system was setup.
  • g) Representative
    Reservoir 232 is representative of above ground reinforced concrete reservoirs built in the mid 20th century.
  • List name
    Heritage Act - s.170 NSW State agency heritage register
  • Date listing listed
    01 January 2000
  • List name
    Heritage Act - State Heritage Register
  • Name
    State Heritage Register
  • Reference number
    01627
  • Gazette number
    220
  • Gazette page
    9709
  • Date listing listed
    15 November 2002
  • Title
    Kiama Reservoirs Conservation Management Strategy
  • Author
    Urbis
  • Published
    2009
  • Item reference number in study
  • WS 232
    WS 232
    Created by: Edward Higginbotham
    Creation date: 01 June 2000
  • The physical curtilage plan for Kiama Reservoir (WS0232).
    The physical curtilage plan for Kiama Reservoir (WS0232).
    Created by: Sydney Water
    Creation date: 29 June 2006
  • Data entry status
    Basic
  • Entered
    10 March 2000
  • Updated
    05 December 2014