Kiama Reservoir (WS 0231)

  • Number
    4575705
  • Other name
    (WS 0231)
  • Primary address

    120, Irvine Street Kiama, 2533. NSW
    LGA: Kiama
    LGA region: Illawarra
    DUAP region: Illawarra & Macarthur

  • Alternate Address

    121, at Elouera Place Kiama, 2533. NSW
    LGA: Kiama
    LGA code: KIAM
    LGA region: Illawarra
    DUAP region: Illawarra & Macarthur

  • Owner
    Sydney Water
  • Current use
    Reservoir.
  • Former use
    Reservoir.
  • Item type
    Built
  • Item group
    Utilities - Water
  • Item category
    Water Supply Reservoir/ Dam
  • Parcels

    Parcel code: LOT
    Lot number: 10
    Section number:
    Plan code: DP
    Plan number: 708076
    Updated: 17 February 2003

  • Curtilage/Boundary
    The curtilage is defined by the boundary of Lot 10 in DP No.708076, as shown on the curtilage plan.
  • AMG easting
    302478295
  • AMG northing
    6161009640
  • Statement of significance
    Reservoir 231 has historical significance at the state level for its construction technique and material, and its operation within the South Coast water supply system after 1961. The reservoir demonstrates the growth of settlement in the Kiama area in the early 20th century reflecting the needs of a growing rural centre for an upgrade to the water supply system in southern New South Wales. It is a circular reinforced concrete surface reservoir with a thickened inner rim. The concrete is reinforced with tensioned steel to increase its strength.The pump house (WP121 c. 1980s) in the north-west area of the site has aesthetic significance at the local level as it still contains original operating equipment. Reservoir 231 forms a group of two concrete reservoirs with Reservoir 232 and along with the modern steel reservoir (413), they service the needs of the local community.
  • Endorsed significance
    State
  • Designer
    NSW Department of Public Works
  • Circa
    No
  • Physical description
    Kiama Reservoir (WS 231), located at the south end of the site, and is a simple circular reinforced concrete reservoir with a thickened upper rim or rib. There is no visible concrete apron. Standard features include: handrail in tubular steel, davit, access ladder, inlet and outlet valve chambers and a trigonometric station. Full Service Level: 90 m. Capacity: 1.1 ML. Kiama Reservoir (WS 232) is located to the north of WS 231 (see separate listing). A modern welded steel reservoir has been constructed at the northern end of the site (WS 413). A modern brick building (WF 121) is located next to WS 231.
  • Modifications made
    The reservoir has been roofed to safeguard water quality (1960s-1970s).
  • History
    The Metropolitan Water Supply & Drainage Board initially used water from the Cordeaux Dam c 1926, (the nearest of the Upper Nepean tributaries) to supply the South Coast, Wollongong and its suburbs. Because of the height of the ridge (O’Briens Gap) above the coastal area, pressure in the trunk main was too high to be directly connected to reticulation mains. The pressure was broken down by the construction of five service reservoirs at the highest points on the coastal plain. The initial supply scheme from the Cordeaux River to Wollongong was constructed by the NSW Department of Public Works in 1902-1903. It was transferred to the MWS&DB in 1903. The second major stage of development occurred in 1909 with extension to Port Kembla and Unanderra. The third stage of expansion was completed in 1915 with water supplied to Figtree, Mount Kembla, Kembla Heights, Mount Keira, Keiraville and towns to the north of Wollongong, namely Balgownie, Corrimal, Bellambi, Russell Vale, Woonoona, Bulli, Thirroul, Austinmer, Coledale, Scarborough and Clifton. The extensions of supply to Dapto in 1920 and to Mount Drummond (now Mangerton), Tarrawanna, Reidtown, Fern Hill and Fairy Meadow, all in 1922, were supplementary to the third stage of expansion. Since that date, expansion has occurred in all of the South Coast water supply, although Kiama, Jamberoo and other southern areas were not connected to the Avon supply until after 1961. In the 1960s, supply was made available from Avon Dam, this dam being originally completed in 1928. Water is now supplied from Avon Dam, via filtration plant, to Mount Keira, Berkeley and Dapto, from whence all other reservoirs receive their supply. This reservoir was not incorporated into the South Coast or Illawarra Region water supply until after 1961. The exact date Reservoir 1 (WS0231) was constructed is unknown, however documentary evidence suggests c. 1917. Both Reservoirs WS0231 and WS0232 were built as circular reinforced on-ground concrete reservoirs. Reservoir 1 is a relatively fine concrete. They are both reinforced with steel, around their circular walls.The 1959 Sydney Water plan for Reservoir WS0231 does not include the ladder, depth gauge board and other attachments, but it does include the inlet and outlet valves, scour, overflow, float switch and water level indicator. The ladder constructed in 1962 may have replaced an earlier ladder. Around c 1965 outlet screen were installed on Reservoirs 1 and 2.
  • National
    Settlement
  • State
    Utilities
  • Local
    Water Supply
  • Local description
    Relates to the planning, development, expansion and provision of water supply.
  • a) Historical
    Reservoir 231 has historical significance at the state level for its construction technique and material, and its operation within the South Coast water supply system after 1961. Reservoir 231 demonstrates the growth of settlement in the Kiama area in the early 20th century reflecting the needs of a growing rural centre for an upgrade to the water supply system in southern New South Wales. Reservoir 231 was built in the early 20th century following acquirement of the site in 1900 for water supply purposes. It forms a group of two concrete reservoirs with Reservoir 232 and along with the modern steel reservoir (413), they service the needs of the local community.
  • c) Aesthetic
    The pump house (WP121 c. 1980s) in the north-west area of the site has aesthetic significance at the local level as it still contains original operating equipment.
  • f) Rarity
    One of a small group of concrete surface reservoir with no apron.
  • g) Representative
    Reservoir 231 is representative of above ground reinforced concrete reservoirs built in the early 20th century. It varies from the design of other reinforced concrete reservoirs, as like Reservoir 232, it does not appear to have a concrete apron, which is a standard feature on above-ground reservoirs.
  • List name
    Heritage Act - s.170 NSW State agency heritage register
  • Date listing listed
    01 January 2000
  • List name
    Heritage Act - State Heritage Register
  • Name
    State Heritage Register
  • Reference number
    01626
  • Gazette number
    220
  • Gazette page
    9709
  • Date listing listed
    15 November 2002
  • Title
    Kiama Reservoirs Conservation Management Strategy
  • Author
    Urbis
  • Published
    2009
  • Item reference number in study
  • WS 231
    WS 231
    Created by: Edward Higginbotham
    Creation date: 01 June 2000
  • The physical curtilage plan for Kiama Reservoir (WS0231).
    The physical curtilage plan for Kiama Reservoir (WS0231).
    Created by: Sydney Water
    Creation date: 29 June 2006
  • Kiama Reservoir (WS0231).
    Kiama Reservoir (WS0231).
    Created by: Sydney Water
    Creation date: 01 March 2008
  • Kiama Reservoir (WS 0231) in background.
    Kiama Reservoir (WS 0231) in background.
    Created by: Sydney Water
    Creation date: 01 March 2008
  • Kiama Reservoir (WS 0413).
    Kiama Reservoir (WS 0413).
    Created by: Sydney Water
    Creation date: 01 March 2008
  • Pump House 121.
    Pump House 121.
    Created by: Sydney Water
    Creation date: 01 March 2008
  • Pump House Interior.
    Pump House Interior.
    Created by: Sydney Water
    Creation date: 01 March 2008
  • Pump House Interior.
    Pump House Interior.
    Created by: Sydney Water
    Creation date: 01 March 2008
  • Data entry status
    Basic
  • Entered
    10 March 2000
  • Updated
    01 November 2016