Bantry Bay Water Pumping Station (WP0122)

  • Number
    4574709
  • Other name
    North Seaforth Water Pumping Station WPS122
  • Primary address

    303, Kirkwood Street Seaforth, 2092. NSW
    LGA: Warringah
    LGA region: Sydney
    DUAP region: Sydney North

  • Alternate Address

    304, Wakehurst Parkway Seaforth, 2092. NSW
    LGA: Warringah
    LGA code: WARI
    LGA region: Sydney
    DUAP region: Sydney North

  • Owner
    Sydney Water
  • Current use
    Disused
  • Former use
    Water pumping station
  • Item type
    Built
  • Item group
    Utilities - Water
  • Item category
    Water Pump House/Pumping Station
  • Curtilage/Boundary
    The curtilage is the pumping station, adjoining reinforced concrete reservoir (not part of this listing) and any remnant connecting pipes, as shown on the curtilage plan. Includes view of the structure from the approach road.
  • AMG easting
    337015818
  • AMG northing
    6261006856
  • Statement of significance
    The former Bantry Bay Water Pumping Station was constructed in 1924. It is an example of a hydro-pneumatic pumping station constructed of reinforced concrete in Sydney in the 1920s. Construction of the station is associated with the development of water supply to the local area, which (in association with the reservoir) is a major element of the historic built environment of the local government area of Warringah. The former use and age of the station provides a focus for an understanding of the suburban development of the area. The significant elements are the location near the original reservoir (inclusive of views from the street) and fabric of the pumping station superstructure.
  • Endorsed significance
    Local
  • Designer
    Public Works Department ?
  • Year started
    1924
  • Year completed
    1924
  • Circa
    No
  • Physical description
    The 1924 pumping station is a small reinforced concrete structure. The building has a flat roof, also of reinforced concrete construction. There are no windows. The entrance door is on the west elevation. The door is timber framed, with ledged and sheeted door leaves. The pumping station is located south of the main reservoirs, adjacent to the entry to the property from Kirkwood Street.
  • Modifications made
    Removal of plant c.1970s.
  • History
    The Bantry Bay circular reinforced concrete reservoir, with a capacity of 1 1/2 million gallons, was completed in May 1924. The reservoir was constructed to improve service to the higher levels of the Manly Dam water delivery system. Prior to completion of the Bantry Bay Reservoir, supply to this area was heavily dependent on the Manly (Red Hill) Reservoir. The Bantry Bay Reservoir was supplied initially by pumping from Manly Dam pumping station. This arrangement continued until 1933 when a 15-in. steel main was laid to connect the Bantry Bay Reservoir with the main from Pymble, thus obviating the need to pump from Manly Dam. A second steel reservoir was completed in the 1970s. The current water source is drawn from the Warringah Reservoirs. The small water pumping station was erected in 1924 adjacent the concrete reservoir. This station was replaced in 1975 by a new hydro-pneumatic station constructed about 6 m. to the north of the 1924 structure. Pumps, etc. were removed at this time. The past and present station served/serves as a booster unit to supply a small local area.
  • National
    Settlement
  • State
    Utilities
  • Local
    Water Supply
  • Local description
    Relates to the planning, development, expansion and provision of water supply.
  • National
    Settlement
  • State
    Towns, suburbs and villages (Townships)
  • Local
    (none)
  • a) Historical
    The original North Seaforth pumping station is associated with the construction of the Bantry Bay Reservoir in 1924 and its former use as hydro-pneumatic pumping station, which was built to improve water supply to the high areas north of the Manly Reservoir. The reservoir and pumping station therefore have strong historical associations with the development of the suburbs of the Manly/Warringah area.
  • c) Aesthetic
    The orginal pumping station is an example of a hydro-pneumatic small booster water pumping station constructed by the Water Board in the 1920s, demonstrating the design of such structures in reinforced concrete.
  • d) Social
    The original pumping station (in association with the reservoir) is a major item of the historic built environment of the Seaforth area of the Warringah local government area, and its past use provides a focus for an understanding of the development of the local area.
  • e) Research
    The original pumping station is constructed of reinforced concrete and demonstrates the widespread advocacy of this construction technique by the 1920s, particularly for public works infrastructure. The original hydro-pneumatic equipment has been removed.
  • f) Rarity
    Rare in consideration of its original hydro-pneumatic use.
  • g) Representative
    Representative in its function which is seen at a number of localites across Sydney.
  • List name
    Heritage Act - s.170 NSW State agency heritage register
  • Date listing listed
    01 January 2000
  • Title
    Annual Report
  • Published
    1923
  • Title
    The Water Supply, Sewerage and Drainage of Sydney
  • Author
    Aird, W.V.
  • Published
    1961
  • The original pumping station at Bantry Bay Reservoir is located in centre of picture.
    The original pumping station at Bantry Bay Reservoir is located in centre of picture.
    Created by: CLS&P
    Creation date: 05 July 2000
  • The physical curtilage plan for Bantry Bay Water Pumping Station (former).
    The physical curtilage plan for Bantry Bay Water Pumping Station (former).
    Created by: Sydney Water
    Creation date: 26 May 2006
  • Data entry status
    Completed
  • Entered
    10 March 1999
  • Updated
    13 February 2014