Meters in multi-level buildings
For most new multi-level buildings, you:
- must install the plumbing for a meter on each unit
- must install a meter for each unit in a strata subdivided building
- may install a meter for each unit in a non strata subdivided building.
Compulsory individual metering for new buildings
The rules are compulsory when developing new:
- residential buildings
- mixed developments
- serviced apartments
- commercial strata subdivided buildings.
The rules are compulsory to ensure water usage charges are fairer for unit owners. They'll now be a condition for connecting to our systems.
This condition also affects any Section 73 Compliance Certificate applications if you applied after 1 September 2014. Depending on your development, you will find this condition in your:
- Notice of Requirements letter
- complying Section 73 Certifiicate development letter.
Optional individual metering
You can choose to install individual meters in an existing building, or where they are not compulsory, if you comply with our Multi-level individual metering guide. Before you proceed, you should:
- Talk to your plumber to find out if your building design and plumbing arrangements meet our requirements.
- Talk to an Accredited Metering Supplier about the metering requirements.
- Contact us to understand the impacts on your future water bills. Individual unit owners will get their own water usage on their bill. Any common water usage (from centralised hot water systems, pools, garden, fire hose reels) will be included on the owners/Owners Corporation water bill. In some cases this means individual metering will impact the service charges on the bill.
- install a single water inlet and plumbing for each unit. The inlet must not serve more than one unit
- install plumbing for the meters in the common area, not inside each unit. This will allow us to access them easily
- allow a space and connect power for a data logger if necessary.
We don't supply or install these meters. You must get them from our accredited meter suppliers.
|Enware Australia Pty Ltd||Glen Hackfath
|0403 148 977
0498 003 216
|Itron Australasia Pty Ltd||Dana Swann||8235 5788
0417 545 843
A plumber or hydraulic contractor must install these meters in the common area, not inside each unit. This will allow us to access them easily.
Need help? Email our Meters team. AMS MLIM
To find out more, see Our prices.
Metering each unit in a multi-level building is fairer for owners.