General plumbing information
NSW Fair Trading regulates on-site plumbing and drainage work and licensed plumbers in NSW. Visit them for more information about:
- plumbing and drainage inspections
- notices of work (NOW)
- certificates of compliance (CoC)
- sewerage service diagrams (SSD)
- audit inspection fees
- plumbing and drainage regulations.
You must apply to connect if you:
- need a new water or wastewater connection
- want to disconnect an existing water or wastewater connection
- are connecting to a pre-laid water connection
- want us to fit a water meter on the property
- plan to install trade waste equipment
- want to connect a residential house to our stormwater system.
You can apply to connect at Sydney Water Tap in™.
What NSW Fair Trading is responsible for
NSW Fair Trading is responsible for plumbing inspections. Visit them to:
- find out what they need to inspect
- pay for or book an inspection.
What Sydney Water is responsible for
We're responsible for ensuring connections to our pipes meet our standards. We might inspect the connection if we have specific connection requirements, eg holding tanks, pumps or wastewater treatment equipment. These will be included in our additional services agreement with you.
If we need to do an inspection, we'll organise this after:
- you apply to connect
- we've approved your connection.
NSW Fair Trading regulates all plumbing and drainage work in NSW.