Section 73 Compliance Certificates

Do you need a Section 73 Compliance Certificate?

When you develop or subdivide land, your council or certifier will tell you if you need a Section 73 Compliance Certificate from us.

This certificate shows you've satisfied our requirements for providing adequate water, wastewater and stormwater services to your new development.

Once you've applied for a certificate, we need to review your building plans. Most developments will then get a Notice of Requirements that details any works that need to happen and any land development charges (if applicable).

Depending on the location, size and complexity of your development or subdivision, you can choose to apply through either:
new residential

When you develop or subdivide your land, you'll need to apply for a Section 73 Compliance Certificate.


Depending on the location, size and complexity of your development, you can use either a Water Servicing Coordinator to act on your behalf, or you can apply through Sydney Water Developer Direct™.

Apply through a Water Servicing Coordinator

Water Servicing Coordinators are accredited providers who can manage applications for a Section 73 Compliance Certificate on your behalf. They can also offer design services and project management, including construction of the works in your Notice of Requirements.

Water Servicing Coordinators can help you with all kinds of developments that need major and minor works, and building plan conditions, eg if your new building is near one of our sewer pipes and you need to concrete encase it before we give you Building Plan Approval.

Find a Water Servicing Coordinator 

Apply through Sydney Water Developer Direct™

Sydney Water Developer Direct™ is a new trial service that enables you to apply for your Section 73 Compliance Certificate directly through us.

We can help you with small to medium developments that only need simple construction or protection work to meet our requirements. Examples of small to medium developments include projects:

  • that only need minor sewer works
  • that don't involve contaminated land or heritage items
  • where construction of any works will start within the next three months.
Who can apply through Sydney Water Developer Direct™?
We're currently accepting applications for small to medium developments from customers with a Development Consent from Canterbury-Bankstown, Hunters Hill, Lane Cove, Penrith, Ryde and Sutherland council areas only.

We'll be accepting applications from other council areas from 1 July 2017. 

What will we provide?

  • A full assessment of your application and building plans by a technical expert.
  • An experienced case manager who'll look after your application from start to finish.
  • A fixed-price quote for any minor sewer and water service works that need constructing.
  • A custom design sketch.
  • A Section 73 Compliance Certificate and building plan approval once any required work is completed. 
An application though Sydney Water Developer Direct™ costs $475.83. 

Call us on 1300 082 746 for more information. 

Apply now through Sydney Water Developer Direct™

A Section 73 Compliance Certificate confirms you've satisfied our requirements to adequately service your new subdivision or development with water, wastewater and stormwater services.

You need this certificate when you subdivide or develop land.
Before you get a certificate, you might need to:

  • install some extra connections or pipes
  • pay developer fees
  • take steps to protect our existing assets, such as encasing pipes in concrete or relocating our sewer pipes on your property.

We'll outline everything you need to do in a Notice of Requirements letter. You'll need to ensure that any work is done before we issue your Section 73 Compliance Certificate.
Generally, your council won't give you an occupancy certificate for your new property unless you have a Section 73 Compliance Certificate from us first.

There are four main steps involved in getting a Section 73 Compliance Certificate.


When you apply for a Section 73 Compliance Certificate, we'll assess your development against our servicing requirements.

You can either use a Water Servicing Coordinator to act on your behalf, or apply online yourself through Sydney Water Developer Direct™.

Notice of Requirements

If you need to construct something to provide water or sewer connections, or to protect our pipes and assets, we'll detail this in a Notice of Requirements letter.

The Notice of Requirements is valid for 12 months from the date of issue. If you need to wait more than 12 months to start work on anything in your Notice of Requirements, you'll need to re-apply and pay your application fees again.


You'll need to use an accredited constructor to build and supervise any works in your Notice of Requirements. 

If you use Sydney Water Developer Direct™, we'll arrange:

  • construction of minor sewer works
  • installation of water services and meters.

If you need complex works, you'll need to contact a Water Servicing Coordinator.

Certificate and approvals

We'll issue your Section 73 Compliance Certificate and Building plan approval to take to your council when:
  • all the works from your Notice of Requirements are constructed and inspected
  • you've paid any developer fees. 

If your development is large, complex or needs major works, you may have to meet other requirements before we'll issue a Section 73 Compliance Certificate. This might include bonding your works or additional inspections.

We can't provide detailed requirements until we've assessed your plans.

In general, most developments need a sewer connection point constructed and a water service for each new lot as a minimum.

If you have a large or complex proposal, you can pay for a Feasibility application before you start. This will help you to get an idea of the work involved before you start planning your development. Contact a  Water Servicing Coordinator to help you with this. 

Application costs and timeframes

We'll send all Notice of Requirements letters within 60 days of receiving the application. You'll generally get a response within 20-30 days.

See our Prices for other services to see the costs. The Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal (IPART) regulates our development application fees.

There are often other costs involved in assessing your application you should be aware of, including:

  • design services
  • project management and coordination costs
  • compliance inspections
  • negotiating entry to neighbouring properties
  • locating any assets or pipes on your property
  • administration costs.

Water Servicing Coordinators charge market rates for their services. We recommend calling more than one before you make a decision. This will help make sure you've found the one most suitable for your needs.

An application through Sydney Water Developer Direct™ will cost $475.83 and is suitable for small to medium developments.

Construction costs

Construction costs are charged at a market rate and are not included in your application fees. Some costs to consider include:

  • building new pipes to connect into your property
  • equipment hire
  • clearing your site
  • road opening permits and inspection fees
  • concrete encasement of pipes and concrete piering fees.

What can affect construction costs?

Construction costs can be affected by soil conditions and how easy it is for machinery to access the site.  For example, properties with large amounts of rock may have increased construction costs due to the extra machinery needed to dig the ground.

Other costs

Sometimes you'll need to pay for other applications or services to complete your Section 73 Compliance Certificate application.

Peg-outs (Service Protection Reports)

You may need one of these if your development is close to one of our assets.

A peg-out will tell you exactly where our pipes and assets are, and what the soil conditions are on the site. We'll use this information to work out if you need to take extra protection steps, such as concrete encasing a sewer main or installing concrete piers. 

Pressure and Flow statements

These are used to check if there's enough water or pressure available in the nearest water main to serve your new development.

See our Prices for other services for current pricing.