Steps for first time builders
Your building or excavation can affect our assets if it:
- is over or near them. Contact Dial Before You Dig to find out where our assets are located. You must submit your plans to us so we can check them
- increases water use or wastewater discharge. Depending on your development type, you may need to apply for our Section 73 Compliance Certificate
- is illegally connected to our pipes. Talk to a plumber about where and how the building can connect to our pipes.
Locating our assetsOur Sewerage Service Diagrams and Service Location Diagrams will help you locate our assets on your land before you draw up your plans. You can buy them by:
- visiting Sydney Water Tap inTM
- contacting a Property Link broker who'll send them electronically or by fax.
Alternatively, ask a Water Servicing Coordinator about getting a service protection report.
Contact your local council to find out if your building or excavation needs development consent. If it does, they may not allow you to start construction until we've approved your building plans.
What you'll pay for
You may have to pay for these and other costs during the building process:
- checking building plans
- connecting to our pipes, eg water main drilling costs
- assessing water mains for firefighting capabilities
- discharging trade waste
- inspecting plumbing and drainage.
We provide free meters for most properties. We will also install meters up to 50 mm light duty for free except if they're for a multi-level building. You must engage a plumber to install larger meters.
How you get a meter depends on the service the property has.
You must have a meter installed within two days after connection. The water meter/s must:
- be located close to the front and side boundaries of your property
- remain accessible at all times.
You must have a backflow prevention device on your water connection. All 20 and 25 mm meters have a backflow prevention device in them. This is suitable for properties that have a low backflow hazard.
You must engage an accredited backflow plumber to assess your site and install the right kind of backflow device.
New developments can affect our assets.