Who we are
Our area of operations. Select the map to see a larger version.
At Sydney Water, we exist for our customers.
We provide safe drinking water to almost five million people across Sydney, the Blue Mountains and the Illawarra. We also look after wastewater and some stormwater services to help protect the health of our rivers and beaches.
We're a statutory State Owned Corporation, wholly owned by the New South Wales Government.
Our Portfolio Minister is the Hon Don Harwin MLC, Minister for Resources, Minister for Energy and Utilities and Minister for the Arts. Our Shareholder Ministers are the Treasurer and the Minister for Finance, Services and Property.
We operate under the Sydney Water Act 1994 and have three equal principal objectives, to:
- protect public health
- protect the environment
- be a successful business.
We're committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce that supports our strategy, reflects our values and is reinforced through our signature behaviours.
Our values demonstrate what we stand for. They guide our behaviours and decisions at work. We:
- have the customer at the heart of everything we do
- achieve as one team, honestly and ethically
- care for one another, the environment and the community
- make every decision and dollar count
- create new and better ways of doing things.
We live our values through our five signature behaviours.
Focus on solutions
Positive attitude, change ready, improvement and insight
We're proactive, have a positive attitude and are open to change. We'll:
- strive to build value for our customers in all that we do
- demonstrate a positive outlook
- find a way to make things better
- be open to suggestions, new ideas and new ways of working.
Stand up and contribute
Participation, collaboration, courage and respect
We value the diversity, experience and knowledge of ourselves and colleagues. We choose to participate, share our view and get involved. We'll:
- actively participate and work with others to make it happen
- challenge respectfully
- share knowledge and offer opinions.
Do what you say
Honesty, integrity, transparency and trust
We're open, honest and transparent. We're trustworthy, act with integrity and lead by example. We'll:
- agree what to do and by when
- get it done and do it well
- demonstrate openness and honesty
- regularly update, inform and share information.
Support & encourage
Encouragement, communication, empathy and cooperation
We achieve more as a team. We build effective relationships, celebrate success and help each other to be the best we can be. We'll:
- actively listen, show care and concern for others and build relationships
- identify and acknowledge others' strengths and skills
- make time for others to help people build from their strengths.
Own the outcome
Ownership, accountability, results and accomplishment
We own our role and understand how it contributes to the success of the corporate strategy and outcomes for our customers. We take personal responsibility and accountability for our decisions, actions and results. We'll:
- own the role and accountabilities – and fulfil them
- actively support business or team decisions and accomplishments
- hold ourselves and others to account respectfully for behaviours and actions.
We work with a range of stakeholders across various sectors representing government, community and industry groups. We're committed to involving stakeholders in our decision-making through effective engagement and relationship building.
We value all of our stakeholder relationships. We invest more time and resources on particular relationships because of their interest and impact on our operations. These include:
- customers - business and residential
- staff and contractors
- state and local government
- advocacy and special interest groups.
Our Customer Council and Business Customer Forum enable us to regularly engage directly with organisations that represent different types of customers.
Find out more about our customer forums.
Our management structure
- the Board's powers and functions
- the Board's responsibilities to staff, customers and the community, shareholding Ministers, portfolio Minister and regulators
- how Board meetings are run
- membership requirements of the Board and its committees.