Great people, many possibilities, one purpose
Want an interesting career with an organisation that makes a difference to Sydney's future? Consider a career at Sydney Water!
Our Graduate Program is one of the best!
Data collected from the Australian Association of Graduate Employers (AAGE) 2017 Graduate Employer Survey was used to create the Top 75 Graduate Employer list.
We're number 35 and proud to have made the list.
|2||Video assessments||March - May|
|5||Job offers made||July|
Why join Sydney Water?
You’ll have real responsibility, real variety and real satisfaction. We’ll be looking to you to help us innovate to meet the challenges of our growing cities.
From scientists, engineers, planners, environmentalists, data analysts to our dedicated maintenance crews, our people and their jobs are as varied as the communities we serve.
We work hard to harness the diversity of thought, experiences and perspectives our people bring. This helps us build our capability and make better decisions. Why not enrich the mix and join us to explore the possibilities of your potential?!
How does our Graduate Program work?
Beginning in February, we offer a four-year rotational program offering up to four 12 month work placements.
During this time, we help you discover your potential through a range of learning opportunities.
- The first year focusses on personal development and communications. This is designed to help the transition from university to work.
- The second year focusses on leadership and developing technical expertise.
- During the third and fourth year, graduates seek a permanent position while continuing to develop skills and capabilities.
Graduates can apply for full time positions after 18 months.
What does it take to join our program?
We recruit about 10-20 graduates each year from a range of disciplines, including:
- Digital and analytics
- Engineering - civil, chemical, mechanical, environmental and electrical
- Environmental Science
- Communications and marketing
- Finance and accounting.
Your work will make a meaningful contribution and make a difference to our customers and Sydney’s future.
You can expect:
- hands-on experience with varied, challenging projects. You’ll have the flexibility to choose your career path as you rotate across different business areas. You’ll be able to set and achieve real goals as you take on challenging and varied work.
- ongoing learning and development. You’ll receive ongoing training to equip you as a future leader throughout the four years. Your supervisor will support you and give you the tools and training you need on the job.
- support and networking opportunities. Your buddy and supervisor will support you when you start and throughout the year. You’ll be able to build networks with your fellow graduates as well as senior leaders across the business.
- your health, safety and wellbeing to be our priority. We respect and value the needs of our people to ensure they have the right work-life balance.
Our program allows you to explore the business through rotational placements. This helps you identify the area you'd like to focus on for your career.
At Sydney Water you'll:
- make a difference to the lives of customers and communities
- be part of a passionate, skilled team that leads the world in providing safe, sustainable water and wastewater services
- make your contribution count in a dynamic organisation where you can achieve your best.
We're looking for graduates who are lifelong learners with innovative, creative and open minds.
You'll need to:
- have completed your undergraduate degree in 2016, or be due to complete it this year at a recognised Australian University
- hold Australian citizenship or permanent residency status when you apply
- have a solid academic transcript
- be a team player
- have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- be flexible and open to change.
What do we expect from our people?
We believe that how we work is just as important as what we achieve. Our people are guided by our values and behaviours in their everyday work.
Our values demonstrate what we stand for. They guide our behaviours and decisions at work. We:
- have the customer at the heart of everything we do
- achieve as one team, honestly and ethically
- care for one another, the environment and the community
- make every decision and dollar count
- create new and better ways of doing things.
We live our values through our five signature behaviours.
Focus on solutions
Positive attitude, change ready, improvement and insight
We're proactive, have a positive attitude and are open to change. We'll:
- strive to build value for our customers in all that we do
- demonstrate a positive outlook
- find a way to make things better
- be open to suggestions, new ideas and new ways of working.
Stand up and contribute
Participation, collaboration, courage and respect
We value the diversity, experience and knowledge of ourselves and colleagues. We choose to participate, share our view and get involved. We'll:
- actively participate and work with others to make it happen
- challenge respectfully
- share knowledge and offer opinions.
Do what you say
Honesty, integrity, transparency and trust
We're open, honest and transparent. We're trustworthy, act with integrity and lead by example. We'll:
- agree what to do and by when
- get it done and do it well
- demonstrate openness and honesty
- regularly update, inform and share information.
Support & encourage
Encouragement, communication, empathy and cooperation
We achieve more as a team. We build effective relationships, celebrate success and help each other to be the best we can be. We'll:
- actively listen, show care and concern for others and build relationships
- identify and acknowledge others' strengths and skills
- make time for others to help people build from their strengths.
Own the outcome
Ownership, accountability, results and accomplishment
We own our role and understand how it contributes to the success of the corporate strategy and outcomes for our customers. We take personal responsibility and accountability for our decisions, actions and results. We'll:
- own the role and accountabilities – and fulfil them
- actively support business or team decisions and accomplishments
- hold ourselves and others to account respectfully for behaviours and actions.
Email us at email@example.com